A while ago I got in the habit of having a ‘Green Monster‘ shake every day as my mid-morning snack. And then I moved away from my mom’s Magic Bullet and I forgot about them. So, when I cam across the recipe for ‘Green Monster Soup’ on Angela’s blog, I knew I had to give it a try.
I can pretty much guarantee that there will always be a few containers of this in my freezer from now on. It’s delicious, convenient and packed with good things!
Green Monster Soup
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 1/2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt (I chose to leave this out)
- 2 cups uncooked split green peas, picked over & rinsed (I didn’t do this)
- 5 cups boiling water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 large handful spinach (I upped this to 2)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice (reserve zest)
- Smoked paprika, to taste (Garnish)
In a large pot, add olive oil over medium heat. Stir in onions and cook until soft, reduce heat.
Add split peas and boiled water with bouillon cube to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes (until peas are cooked through but still slightly crunchy)
Ladle 1/4 to 1/2 of the soup into a large bowl and set aside. Using a blender, puree the other portion of the soup. Add in spinach and puree until smooth. Pour into reserved soup and serve with a sprinkle of smoked paprika.
** Freezes well **